The other day I wrote about how to avoid accidents with electric bike rentals in the city of Madrid.
So how does one actually rent out these bikes?
- Visit their website, BiciMad
- Register and plug in your credit card information
- Receive a code in your phone
- Plug in the code into the machine at a physical bike rental station and a physical plastic card pops out for you to keep
- To rent a bike, swipe this card at any of the rental stations that has available bikes
You can rent from any station where there´s an availability of bikes as long as you have enough credit in your balance. Download the BiciMad application onto your phone so that you can see a map of the stations. It costs roughly 40-50 cents per half hour and 1 Euros per hour. If you go over your time limit (2 hours), there´s a 4 Euro fine per hour from that moment onward. As long as you make sure you place the bike back when you´re finished with it into the slot at a station which has an available slot, and it won´t come back out, then you´re good!
Tourists can also rent out bikes but the rules are stricter and they go by a slightly different process.